The Brattleboro Retreat's Adult Inpatient Treatment Program provides people ages 18 and older with a broad range of short-term, around-the-clock care for a wide range of acute mental health and addiction problems. Admissions are accepted 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week.
NOTE: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, all inpatient admissions must first meet criteria for inpatient psychiatric level of care as determined by a crisis screening evaluation.
What to Expect
Our adult inpatient mental health and addiction treatment program offers sophisticated, coordinated care provided by an experienced team that includes board-certified psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, licensed social workers, and highly trained mental health workers. We work with you to create a customized treatment plan designed to ensure you get the most out of your care.
We provide skilled assessment, rapid intervention, and acute crisis stabilization for adults who are experiencing severe episodes of:
- Bipolar Disorders
- Co-occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis)
- Schizophrenia and other thought disorders.
NOTE: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, all inpatient admissions must first meet criteria for inpatient psychiatric level of care as determined by a crisis screening evaluation. The hospital's inpatient programs continue to serve individuals on a case-by-case basis who present with a secondary substance use disorder (SUD) diagnosis requiring medically managed detoxification from alcohol, prescription drugs, and other potentially dangerous or addictive substances.
An average inpatient stay at the Retreat lasts from 5 to 14 days. When you're ready to leave we offer a variety of high quality programs and services designed to help you build on the gains you made in the hospital and get stronger and more comfortable in your recovery. For example:
- The Birches Treatment Center is the Retreat's partial hospital (PHP) and intensive outpatient program (IOP) for adults.
- Starting Now is our intensive outpatient treatment program specifically for adults who are dealing with alcohol and addiction to other drugs.
- The Anna Marsh Clinic provides traditional outpatient therapy with offices right here on campus.