At the Brattleboro Retreat, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals find a safe, supportive community of professionals and peers in an LGBTQ+-affirming setting. Free from judgment. Free from prejudice.
What to Expect
Here you’ll find a caring group of healthcare providers. Some are members of the LGBTQ+ community. All are trained in sensitivity issues that may affect you as an LGBTQ+ individual at the Retreat. Because your recovery is our primary goal, we provide:
- Privacy, dignity, and comfort
- Gender-neutral bathrooms and showers
- Co-ed treatment programs that welcome all expressions of gender.
Our inpatient services for LGBTQ+ individuals include:
- psychological & medical evaluation
- around-the-clock acute hospital care
- medically assisted drug and alcohol withdrawal/short-term stabilization
- medication management
- milieu therapy
- partner and family counseling
- coaching on the “coming out” process
- expertise in treating transgender individuals
- aftercare planning specific to the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
The diversity and training of our caregivers (physicians, nurses, social workers, and mental health workers) affords a unique understanding of how sexual orientation and gender identity can shape people's lives. Staff members on our LGBT Adult Inpatient Program understand the importance of creating a safe haven where patients have the freedom to openly express feelings and discuss issues without prejudice or judgment.