At the Brattleboro Retreat, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals find a safe, supportive community of professionals and peers in an LGBT-affirming setting. Free from judgment. Free from prejudice.
What to Expect
Here you’ll find a caring group of healthcare providers. Some are members of the LGBT community. All are trained in sensitivity issues that may affect you as an LGBT individual at the Retreat. Because your recovery is our primary goal, we provide:
- Privacy, dignity, and comfort
- Gender-neutral bathrooms and showers
- Co-ed treatment programs that welcome all expressions of gender.
Our inpatient services for LGBT individuals include:
- psychological & medical evaluation
- around-the-clock acute hospital care
- medically assisted drug and alcohol withdrawal/short-term stabilization
- medication management
- milieu therapy
- partner and family counseling
- coaching on the “coming out” process
- expertise in treating transgender individuals
- aftercare planning specific to the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
The diversity and training of our caregivers (physicians, nurses, social workers, and mental health workers) affords a unique understanding of how sexual orientation and gender identity can shape people's lives. Staff members on our LGBT Adult Inpatient Program understand the importance of creating a safe haven where patients have the freedom to openly express feelings and discuss issues without prejudice or judgment.