The Brattleboro Retreat is a private, not-for-profit corporation. The Corporation of the Brattleboro Retreat is governed by a Board of Trustees. The Board consists of thirteen (13) voting members, each of whom is referred to as a Trustee. A quorum is seven (7) Trustees. Trustees are expected to attend 75 percent of scheduled Board meetings. The Chief Executive Officer serves as one of the thirteen voting members of the Board of Trustees. He or she is entitled to participate in all meetings of the Board of Trustees except meetings held for the purpose of evaluating the Chief Executive Officer’s performance or taking personnel action with respect to the Chief Executive Officer.
The President of the Medical Staff serves as an ex officio member of the Board of Trustees for so long as he/she holds such a position. As ex officio, he/she is not entitled to vote. The ex officio member may, at the request of the Chair of the Board of Trustees, be excluded from executive sessions of the Board of Trustees. The President of the Medical Staff’s service as an ex officio member of the Board of Trustees constitutes a mechanism for the Medical Staff to communicate with all levels of governance involved in policy decisions affecting patient care services at the Brattleboro Retreat.
Appropriate candidates for Trustee or subsidiary Director selection would be those who have, by education or experience, knowledge of mental health and addiction care issues; demonstrated community involvement; strong moral character and integrity; and a willingness and ability to serve the Brattleboro Retreat in a constructive manner through active participation on the Board.
List of governing body members
- Elizabeth Catlin, Board Chair, Bluestone Wealth Management, Keene, NH
- Ken Becker, President, Becker Healthcare and Public Affairs, West Chester, PA
- Adam Grinold, Executive Director of the Brattleboro Development Credit Corporation
- Justin Johnson, Global Strategic Markets, MMR, LLC
- Louis Josephson, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer
- William Knorr, MD, ex officio, (non-voting), President of Medical Staff, Staff Psychiatrist, Child & Adolescent Services, Brattleboro Retreat
- Kate O'Connor, Executive Director of the Brattleboro Area Chamber of Commerce
- Drew Pate, MD, Medical Director, Mann Residential Programs and School at Sheppard Pratt Health System, Baltimore, MD
- Joe Pyle, MA, President, Thomas Scattergood Behavioral Health Foundation, Philadelphia, PA
- Tammy Richards, Board Secretary, AVA, CMAP
- Michael P. Sarsynski, Jr., CFP, Vice President for Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC, Northampton, MA
- Christopher Turley, Vice President/Senior Loan Officer for Northern New England Region, TD Bank
- Tonia Wheeler, Dummerston, VT
Open Meetings and Contact Information
As a private, not-for-profit corporation, the Brattleboro Retreat does not have a schedule of open meetings. The feedback of patients, their families, and community members is of great importance to the Brattleboro Retreat. Please see strategic initiatives for how the Brattleboro Retreat involves the public in its strategic planning process. Questions can be directed to Konstantin Von Krusenstiern, Vice President of Strategy and Development at (802) 258-4366.