The Brattleboro Retreat is a private, not-for-profit corporation. The Corporation of the Brattleboro Retreat is governed by a Board of Trustees. The Board consists of ten (10) voting members, each of whom is referred to as a Trustee. A quorum is six (6) Trustees. Trustees are expected to attend 75 percent of monthly Board meetings. The Chief Executive Officer serves as one of the nine voting members of the Board of Trustees. He or she is entitled to participate in all meetings of the Board of Trustees except meetings held for the purpose of evaluating the Chief Executive Officer’s performance or taking personnel action with respect to the Chief Executive Officer.
The President of the Medical Staff and the Senior Physician Executive serve as ex officio members of the Board of Trustees for so long as they hold such positions. As ex officiomembers, they are not entitled to vote. One or more of the ex officio members may, at the request of the Chair of the Board of Trustees, be excluded from executive sessions of the Board of Trustees. The President of the Medical Staff’s service as an ex officio member of the Board of Trustees constitutes a mechanism for the Medical Staff to communicate with all levels of governance involved in policy decisions affecting patient care services at the Brattleboro Retreat. Appropriate candidates for Trustee or subsidiary Director selection would be those who have, by education or experience, knowledge of mental health care issues; demonstrated community involvement; strong moral character and integrity; and a willingness and ability to serve the Brattleboro Retreat in a constructive manner through active participation in the Board.
List of governing body members
- Peter Sherlock, Board Chair, President, Sherlock Investment, Brattleboro, VT
- Bette Abrams, M.Ed., Guilford, VT
- Mary D. Faucher, Esq., Leader & Berkon, LLP, New York, NY
- William Knorr, MD, ex officio, (non-voting), President of Medical Staff, Staff Psychiatrist, Child & Adolescent Services, Brattleboro Retreat Executive Staff
- Dan Normandeau, Dummerston, VT
- Jeffrey J. Morse, President and CEO, River Valley Credit Union, Brattleboro, VT
- Tammy Richards, AVA, CMAP
- Michael P. Sarsynski, Jr., CFP, Vice President International Wealth Management, Merrill Lynch, Springfield, MA.
- Robert E. Simpson, Jr., DSW, MPH, ex officio (voting), President and Chief Executive Officer, Brattleboro Retreat, Brattleboro, VT
- Tonia Wheeler
Open Meetings and Contact Information
As a private, not-for-profit corporation, the Brattleboro Retreat does not have a schedule of open meetings. The feedback of patients, their families, and community members is of great importance to the Brattleboro Retreat. Please see strategic initiatives for how the Brattleboro Retreat involves the public in its strategic planning process. Questions can be directed to Julia Sorensen, Director of Marketing and Communications at (802) 257-7785.