Alcohol use that is harmful in any way is considered alcohol abuse.
You do not have to be an alcoholic to have an alcohol problem. You should ask yourself if your alcohol use has ever resulted in:
- work difficulties
- legal trouble
- problems meeting family responsibilities
- auto accidents
- medical problems related to your drinking (for example, liver disease, high blood pressure, digestive problems, etc.).
Take This Self-Test to Determine if You Have a Problem with Alcohol:
- Do you consider yourself to be a normal drinker? (i.e. you drink as much or as little as most other people)?
- Have you ever woken up after drinking the night before and not been able to remember part or all of the evening??
- Does a near relative or close friend ever worried or complained about your drinking ?
- Can you stop drinking without difficulty after one or two drinks?
- Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking?
- Have you ever attended a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)?
- Have you ever gotten into physical fights when drinking?
- Has drinking ever caused problems between you and a near relative or close friend?
- Has any family member or close friend gone to anyone for help about your drinking?
- Have you ever lost friends because of your drinking?
- Have you ever gotten into trouble at work because of your drinking?
- Have you ever lost a job because of drinking?
- Have you ever neglected your obligations, your family, or your work for two or more days because you were drinking?
- Do you drink before noon fairly often?
- Have you ever been told you have liver trouble such as cirrhosis?
- After heavy drinking have you ever had delirium tremens (D.T.s), severe shaking, visual or auditory (hearing) hallucinations?
- Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking?
- Have you ever been hospitalized because of drinking?
- Has your drinking ever resulted in being hospitalized in a psychiatric facility?
- Have you ever gone to any physician, social worker, clergy member or mental health clinic for help with any emotional problem in which drinking was part of the problem?
- Have you been arrested more than once for driving under the influence of alcohol?
- Have you ever been arrested, even for a few hours, because of other behavior while drinking?
This quiz is scored by allocating 1 point to each 'yes' answer (except for questions 1 and 4, where 1 point is allocated for each 'no' answer) and totalling the responses. A score of 0-2 = no apparent problem; 3-5 = early to middle problem drinker; 6 and above = problem drinker. This self test is the current revised version of the Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST).